What is (xxx address) property zoned?

Please visit https://www.mygov.us/task/city/knowledge_base/gis.php?cityname=608

What permits do I need to …….(project description)?


A zoning permit for location is required to ascertain compliance with setback requirements.  A stormwater management permit is required given the adoption of the new stormwater management ordinance.  Typically no building permit is required unless the patio is to be used as a foundation for a room addition.


If you are changing the slope of the roof or adding dormers then a permit is required.  If you are just replacing the shingles or applying a rubber roof then a permit is not required on residential properties but it is required on non-residential properties.

Hot Tubs or Spas – PERMIT REQUIRED

Hot tubs and spas are covered under the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and require a building permit.

Accessory or utility structures – PERMIT REQUIRED

All accessory and/or utility structures require a zoning permit to assure that setback requirements are being met.  If the structure is over 1,000 square feet a building permit is also required.  In addition, a stormwater management permit is also required whether the structure is over or under 1,000 square feet.


A zoning and stormwater management permit are always required for a deck.  A building permit is also required when the deck exceeds 30 inches at any area from the ground.


Private walkways are required to obtain stormwater management permit as sidewalks add impervious surface to a site. Public pedestrian sidewalks do require a permit, since they must be constructed to a certain standard.

Replacing Windows or Doors – PERMIT SOMETIMES REQUIRED

A permit is not required if you are not enlarging the opening in the wall.  If you are making a new opening or making an existing opening larger, then a building permit is required. 

Is there a listing of Township Application Fees?

Yes, please see the 2019 Fee Schedule.

Who do I contact about on-lot sewage questions?

Marv Stoner is the appointed Township Sewage Enforcement Officer and can be reached at (717) 786-3205

My landlord won’t fix the…….  Who do I need to talk to?

Contact either Tabor Community Services at (717) 397-5182 or Lancaster Housing Partnership at (717) 291-9945

How soon after a snow/ice event do I need to clean the sidewalks?

Within 24 hours of the after the end of a snow or ice event.  Snow and ice must be removed to the greatest extent possible with a minimum path of 30 inches in width along sidewalks and a five (5) foot radius of all fire hydrants.  During removal of snow and ice, it shall not be placed within the drive aisles of a public roadway.

Can I get help for home repair and lead based paint remediation?

There are two programs available for Home Repairs and Lead  Based Paint Remediation for low and moderate income homeowners and renters.


What do I do with yard waste?

Contact your trash hauler for their collection rules.  Yard waste cannot be burned.  West Earl Township has a Compost Facility available to Non-Township Residents, please call 717-859-3201 for further information.

What is the burning ordinance in the Township?

Small recreational fires are permitted provided that you are not burning yard waste, trash or other recyclable materials. The fire must be tended at all times and any smoke from the fire must not cross property lines.

Where do I take electronics for recycling?

You can take your electronics to the Lancaster County Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 1299 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, PA.

Where do I take Styrofoam for recycling?

Dart Container accepts styrofoam #6 at their recycling centers at 110 Pitney Road, Lancaster ,PA or 60 East Main Street, Leola, PA.

How do I set up trash pick up?

Please contact one of the following trash haulers:

East Lampeter Township Trash Haulers

A & A Refuse
537 West Roseville Road
Lancaster, PA 17603
(717) 291-2097


Cauler Containers Inc
245 Oak Bottom Road
Quarryville, PA 17566
(717) 806-0991


Eagle Disposal of PA Inc.
PO Box 288
East Earl, PA 17519
(717) 355-9560


Good’s Disposal Services Inc.
4361 Oregon Pike
Ephrata, PA 17522
(717) 336-6385 or (717) 859-1879 or (717) 626-1055


Lebanon Farms Disposal Inc.
PO Box 380
Schaefferstown, PA 17088
(717) 949-2363


Take Away Refuse
PO Box 39
Silver Spring, PA 17575
(717) 490-9258


Waste Management of Greater Lancaster
230 Wohlson Way
Lancaster, PA 17603
(717) 394-8641


Where do I vote? Voting locations are listed below.

[table “10” not found /]

If you are unsure where to vote, please visit www.votespa.com or call Voter Registration at (717) 299-8293

We have skunks/gophers/mosquitoes (varmints) coming out of a vacant property onto ours. Can someone from the Township take care of this?

No, but you can contact a local pest control company.

I found a stray dog. What do I do with him?

Please contact the Lancaster SPCA at (717) 917-6979 or the Township Police at (717) 291-4676.

There’s a dead cat/dog/opossum/fox in the road – will you send someone to pick it up?


When is Trick or Treat?

The LIMC recommended a policy that trick-or-treating be between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Halloween (October 31), except when Halloween falls on a Saturday or Sunday, in which case trick-or-treating should be on the prior Friday.

Who’s in charge of bug spraying in the Township?

No spraying is done by the Township.  If there are mosquito/stagnant water/west nile concerns contact the Penn State Cooperative Extension at (717) 391-6851.

Do you charge for water?

No, water is charged through the City of Lancaster Water Authority.


How do I go about renting a pavilion?

Please visit https://northlebanontwppa.gov/departments/parks/

Or call the Township office at (717) 393-1567


How can I obtain a criminal history report on myself or another person?

Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History 1-888-783-7972 or https://epctch.state.pa.us

How do I obtain a copy of a Police Report?

Contact the East Lampeter Township Police Department at 291-4676


Are there any exemptions with the stormwater ordinance?

Residential uses are allowed an exemption up to 1,000 square feet cumulatively; both a stormwater exemption and zoning application are required for any improvements on a property that is used in a residential manner.

Agricultural uses are allowed an exemption up to 1,000 square feet cumulatively; both a stormwater exemption and zoning application are required for any improvements on a property that is used in an agricultural manner. 

Small Projects:
Residential uses are allowed to follow a small project guideline (available at the Township Offices) for any project greater than 1,000 square feet and less than or equal to 2,500 square feet in size.  A stormwater and zoning application are required.

Agricultural uses are allowed to follow a small project guideline for any project greater than 1,000 square feet and less than or equal to 5,000 square feet in size.  A stormwater and zoning application are required.   Further, to qualify for a small project an agricultural use must have an approved and implemented conservation plan and/or nutrient management plan.

Stormwater Management Plan:
Residential uses with a project greater than 2,500 square feet and agricultural uses with a project greater than 5,000 square feet are required to provide a full stormwater management plan. 

As was the case with the prior ordinance any other uses, besides residential and agricultural, are required to provide a full stormwater management plan.


How are sewer charges billed & when?

Billed quarterly (the first of January, April, July, October) covering the previous quarter.  Billing is typically by the number of edu (equivalent dwelling units).

How are street lights billed and when?

Yearly in February, there is a 10% discount if paid within 30 days.

Our street light is out. Can it be fixed?

Call the Township office at (717) 393-1567 with the location and the Public Works staff will go out to locate a pole number so that a call can be made to PP&L.

Are Driveway Permits required in the Township?

Yes, if you are putting in a new driveway or repaving a driveway that exits onto a Township Roadway.  If your driveway exits onto a State Highway, you will need to contact PennDOT.

How do I hook into the sewer system?

Complete a sewer tapping permit application.  The application can be found under applications/forms on this website.


Where do I pay my taxes?

The Township does not directly accept tax payments. Tax payments should be made to the appropriate agency shown below:

Lancaster County/Municipal Real Estate Taxes:

Tax payments should be made to the:

Lancaster County Treasurer
PO Box 1447
Lancaster, PA 17608
Phone: (717) 299-8222

School Real Estate Taxes:

Tax payments should be made to the:

LCTCB Real Estate Tax Group
PO Box 3900
Lancaster PA 17604-3900
Phone: (717) 569-4521

Earned Income Taxes and Local Service Taxes:

Tax Collection Bureau
1845 William Penn Way
Lancaster, PA 17601
Email: info@lctcb.org
Phone: (717) 569-4521
Fax: (717) 569-1623

Questions about school taxes should be directed to Conestoga Valley School District at (717) 397-2421

Does East Lampeter Township have a wage tax?

Yes, it is collected by the Tax Collection Bureau.

Does East Lampeter Township have an Occupation Privilege Tax?

Yes, it is collected by the Tax Collection Bureau.

Does East Lampeter Township have a per capita tax?

This tax is paid to the Conestoga Valley School District.

Does East Lampeter Township have an amusement tax?

Yes, please contact the Finance Director of the Township to discuss at (717) 393-1567.

Does East Lampeter Township require a business license?

No, at this time the Township does not require businesses to register for a business license with the Township.  However, if this is a transient or temporary business there are permits that must be sought.